Gastritis is a condition that occurs when the lining of the stomach becomes inflamed or irritated. The condition can be caused by a number of things, including infection, stress, or certain medications.
Some people with gastritis may experience no symptoms at all, while others may have abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, or bloating. Treatment for gastritis is necessary to prevent the condition from progressing and causing more serious problems, such as ulcers.
To diagnose your condition, your gastritis specialist in Singapore may recommend that you have a colonoscopy to check the inside lining of your stomach. See how it’s done and what to expect on this page: https://andrea-digestive-clinic.com/gastroscopy/.
How can I even know if my Gastritis is Serious?
As mentioned above, some people do not even realize they have gastritis because they experience no symptoms. However, there are some key signs and symptoms that can indicate that the condition is serious and should be treated by a doctor. If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, make an appointment to see your gastritis specialist in Singapore:
- Abdominal pain
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- Blood in vomit or stool
- Black or tarry stools
- Difficulty swallowing
- Chest pain
- Unexpected rapid heart rate
- Persistent fever
When should I see a Gastritis Specialist about Gastritis?
Gastritis can sound so scary, but the good news is that most cases of gastritis can be treated. If you are diagnosed with gastritis, it is important to follow your doctor’s instructions carefully. In most cases, you will need to take medication to help heal the stomach lining and reduce inflammation.
However, there are some cases of gastritis that are more serious and require more intensive treatment. Get to see your gastritis specialist if you still experience stomach discomfort after taking OTC drugs, especially aspirin, or after taking your prescription medications.
You must also see a doctor for gastritis if your stool appears black, you vomit blood, or notice bloodstains in your stool. A timely appointment with a gastritis specialist in Singapore could just be what you need to discover the cause of your gastritis and to start on the necessary treatment.
What are the Treatment Options for a serious case of Gastritis?
Gastritis is usually diagnosed with a physical examination and by reviewing your medical history. Your gastritis specialist may also order some diagnostic tests, such as blood tests or a stool test.
Once you have been diagnosed, the next step is to determine the cause of your gastritis and to treat it accordingly. If the cause is an infection, you will likely be prescribed antibiotics. If your gastritis is caused by stress or medication, you may need to change your diet or adjust your medication.
In more serious cases, where the patient is not responding to medication or dietary changes, surgery may be necessary to remove the part of the stomach affected by gastritis. To get a complete gastritis treatment, it is prudent that you find a gastritis specialist that will create a comprehensive treatment plan for you. Here are six simple questions to ask when choosing a gastritis specialist.
- What are your qualifications? It is important that you select a doctor who is qualified to treat gastritis. Ask the doctor about their training and experience in treating gastritis.
- What is your experience in treating gastritis? Gastritis isn’t a rare condition, but some doctors may not have a lot of experience treating it. Ask the doctor how often they treat gastritis and what types of cases they typically see. It would help if the doctor has experience with your specific type of gastritis.
- What are the risks and possible side effects of the treatments you recommend? All treatments come with some risks and side effects. Be sure to ask the doctor about the risks and side effects of any gastritis treatments they recommend. A good doctor will tell you about all the risks and side effects associated with each treatment.
- What is your policy on follow-up care? Gastritis can be a chronic condition, so it’s important to find a doctor who is willing to provide follow-up care. Ask the doctor how often they want to see you for follow-up appointments and what their policy is on missed appointments.
- What are your office hours? Find a doctor whose office hours are convenient for you. If you work during the day, you might want to find a doctor who has evening or weekend office hours.
- What is your fee schedule? Not all doctors accept insurance. Find out how much the doctor charges for services and whether they accept your insurance.
If you have gastritis, it is important to find a gastritis specialist who can create a comprehensive treatment plan for you. By asking the right questions, you can be sure that you are getting the best gastritis treatment possible.
How can I prevent a recurrence of Gastritis?
While gastritis can be a chronic condition, there are things you can do to help prevent a recurrence. Here are some lifestyle changes that can help you prevent a recurrence of gastritis:
- Drink plenty of water. Drinking plenty of water can help improve your digestion and keep your stomach healthy. It would be best if you drank filtered or bottled water.
- Exercise regularly. Exercise helps improve your overall health and can help reduce stress, which can aggravate gastritis. It would be best if you aimed for the recommended at least 30 minutes of exercise per day.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol. Smoking and alcohol can irritate your stomach and aggravate gastritis. If you have gastritis, it is best to avoid these substances.
- Take care of your gut bacteria. A healthy gut microbiome is important for good digestion and can help reduce the risk of gastritis. Eat plenty of probiotic-rich foods and take a probiotic supplement if needed.
The Bottom Line
There is a lot you need to know about gastritis, and finding the right doctor is an important part of treatment. By asking the right questions, you can be sure that you are getting the best care possible. If you are dealing with a serious case of gastritis, it is important to find a doctor who has experience treating your condition. Make sure to ask about the risks and side effects associated with each treatment.
Andrea’s Digestive Clinic: Colon, Liver, Gallbladder, GERD/Acid Reflux Specialist
#21-11/12 Royal Square At Novena, 101 Irrawaddy Road Singapore 329565
+65 6264 2836